After a week of heavy studying (yipee the assignments are done and in the post!) this weekend has been dedicated to crafting. I made a wedding card yesterday which I can't share yet, and today was totally out of my comfort zone! I've never really been into the whole Oriental theme in my crafting - I'm not a big fan of using red either so today's project was very different for me, which is why I did it - wanted to stretch myself and see what happened. This is what happened -
The idea started with the technique from Studio L3 Linda's 'Grungy Monday' challenge which is to use this technique May, 2008 Technique Challenge fromTim Holtz's blog. I'm not sure if I've missed the point as I made a Frame - but I did use the technique, maybe I'll have another go as we have two weeks for this challenge. I decided on fans so I could enter the Random Redhead challenge at Gingersnaps Creations. They took me absolutely ages to make -so fiddly, and could I get them to stick? but thanks to my trusty hot glue gun we got there in the end. I stamped on some red and black card, then cut with Tim's rosette die but only used part of the strip, fixed (eventually) with glue and added some tiny pearls and a bigger gold bead threaded with gold thread tassles (which also took forever!). I tell you, I nearly gave up after the first one - but am glad I persevered as I think one would of looked lonely! The 'lettering' stamp is on the Artifacts cube by Judikins.
Here is a bit of a close up - though don't look too carefully - it's by no means perfect!. It was a devil to photograph too because of the reflection in the glossy card - that red shadow you can see is me!! Just happened to be wearing red so at least I match!! I'm also going to add this to the entries at Allsorts as the theme there is Oriental and at Lets Ink It up who want us to use Embellishments.