Sunday 18 July 2010

Two for the price of one...

Sticking with summer themes today but changing the colour palette completely I had a play with my Marvy  markers (a mixture of Brush and Le Plume) to see if I could come up with anything for the Gingersnaps Spicy Supply Challenge, which is 'markers'. The Brush Markers were one of the first things I bought all those years ago when I first started stamping. I still really enjoy using them but often forget about them in the excitement of newer products.  So seeing as I don't have any other kind of markers, this challenge was a great opportunity to re-discover what I could achieve with them.

I started simply with a stamp from Elusive Images (Oriental Flourishes) and coloured the markers directly onto it, using the lightest colour first over the whole stamp, then adding additional colours in rough stripes getting darker as I went. I spritzed with water and then stamped (I had to line it up and stamp a second time to cover from edge to edge - tricky business - don't look too closely!).  I did the same with the thin border from the same set and stamped the sentiment over the part that had run too much !! I scanned this card as I couldn't get a clear photo and didn't have the patience to fiddle with the camera settings that I don't really know enough about!  I'm adding this to the One Layer Wednesday - Watercolour challenge  on Susan Raihala's blog, Simplicity. 

I was pleased with the results of my experimenting so carried on to make another piece using the same technique. The Pixie/Fairy is a Magenta stamp which has a border and moon (See it in full here), but I used a versamark pen to ink just the part of the image I wanted, then embossed with black EP.
I used Black glitter EP for 'Believe' and added the corner and swirls (Fancy Pants and Penny Black).    The Butterfly is made from assorted scraps of Fusible Fibres ironed on an inked stamp from an Aspects of Design Stamp set. It looks a bit muddy on the pic but is more sparkly in real life. Lots of stickles followed (may have got a little carried away in the corner!!) some fibres through the tag and a border stamp from the Elusive Images set - again coloured with markers but not spritzed with water.  

I'm posting this tag to  -

Gingersnaps  Creations- Spicy Supply Challenge - Markers
                                      Chestnut Theme - Heat
Something Completely Different - Fantasy

Well hope you've enjoyed your weekend as much as I have (I didn't smudge the nails by the way!), Thankyou for all your comments, I think a I kind of lost my way a bit when I first started my blog, feel like I got caught up in trying to meet challenge themes and do the 'right' kind of creation rather than applying my style, if that makes sense. Anyway, it's all a learning curve, and think I've found me again......thanks for the encouragement, Esther x


10 comments:

  1. Wow fabulous colours love how you turned it into a fantasy tag. xx Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Zoe, fab colours and a great tag. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic tag. Great colours and the image works perfectly. Thanks for playing along at SCD and Gingersnaps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love thkis beautiful colours and love the fairy stamp too. we sometimes forget how good some of our 1st buys were don't we? I am glad you still playng with your markers good luck with all the entries and thank you for playng with SCD this week

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done card and tag!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great hot colours and I am always partial to thes paisley type of patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful work and am really enjoying your blog so I have become a follower...would love for you to come by Julie's Open Window and join me there : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome tag and great colors! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a stunning tag - I love how you used the markers! Thanks for joining us at Gingersnap Creations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Ginger Gem!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts - they make me smile x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails