Sunday 25 September 2011

Vintage Christmas

I've been in a vintagy mood today and have had a lovely time getting messy with my distress inks. All the papers on these cards have been made by spritzing DI and 'smooshing' manilla cardstock.  For the top card I crumpled the background and highlighted the creases with walnut stain before ironing smooth again and stamping with Judikins italian script. The postcard stamp is from Crfty individuals, the tree is a Judikins stamp - which I painted with DI then added some glossy accents sprinkled with glamour dust. The numbers are cut from grunge paper to which I've applied a couple of layers of metal accents powder - they don't look as good as the shop bought kind but my budget won't stretch to all those wonderful packs of embellishments available so I try and make my own. I get a bit frustrated sometimes seeing all the wonderful creations about with gorgeous finsihing touches but I try and improvise. 

I'm sharing this card at -
Fashionable Stamping - Vintage
The Artistic Stamper - Numbers
Winter Wonderland = Across the Miles (the postmark on the sentiment panel says 'posted in advance for delivery on christmas')


My second card took ages - lots of fiddling around trying different background papers and in the end I used Walnut Stain distress inks directly on the card blank and just stamped the snowflake .  I crimped some Manilla cardstock I had smooshed with DI and coloured some white lace with - yep you've guessed it Distress inks - another cost cutting technique I use is to only buy white lace and the I just colour as much as I need to fit my project rather than having to splash out on an assortment of colours that may sit around unused for ages!    After stamping the image on smooshed cardstock I used my water brush to remove some of the colour from the girl to make her stand out a bit more.

I'm sharing this card here -

Well, that's the weekend nearly over, back to work tomorrow - have a good week and thanks for stopping by..Esther xx

24 comments:

  1. great cards Esther, but I especially love the 2nd one ;-) Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just gorgeous Esther and love the blingy tree on the first one together with the lovely postcard background.
    Hope your fingers don't look like mine as I've been messing with DIs too and have technicolour fingers lol
    Thanks for joining in with the FSC Vintage challenge too, lovely to see you there.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two beautiful vintage Christmas cards, I love them both. Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards and great vintage looks! Thanks for joining our challenge at Winter Wonderland this week! I enjoyed reading your interpretation of the 'Across the Miles' challenge!
    Hugs Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both cards are absolutely gorgeous, I really couldn't choose between them. I love this vintage Christmas look Esther. Hugs Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great vintage cards - bet your fingers are a funnyu colour this week! Like the lace and the numbers on the first card. Thanks for joining in with the Ribbon Girls Jingle all the Way challenge. Mary G x

    ReplyDelete
  7. and for joining in with the Ribbon Girl colour challenge! Mary G x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Esther these are both beautiful vintage creations but the second card just makes feel all nostalgic for Christmas of days gone by, I adore it. Maybe think of displaying this piece of art in the challenge as well.

    Thank you for entering such a fabulous piece into our Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

    Hugs Shirley x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two stunning cards Esther, I love everything about both of them.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Christmas number card :) Thanks for playing along at The Artistic Stamper this month. Good Luck!

    xoxo Sioux

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two very beautiful vintage cards Esther. Love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely cards! Come by for some puddin n pie
    http://georgie-hornpuddinnpie.blogspot.com/2011/09/monday-is-lame-way-to-spend-17-of-your_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Esther! Both your card are lovely and quite vintage! You're a girl after my own heartvwith your frugal approach to costly embellishments. Love what you have done. Thanks for joining us at Fashionable Stamping challenge. Best, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow gorgeous creations across the miles xmas, thank you so much for sharing with us at the Winter Wonderland this week
    Hugs Kate xx
    ps I have candy if you are interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. 2 totally gorgeous cards Esther, I love the way you've created those fairy lights on the Christmas tree and your distress inked lace looks stunning.
    I've got to say your embellies are gorgeous, I much prefer homemade to shop bought and those numbers are the perfect finishing touch for your vintage card.
    thanks for joining us at FSC
    hugs
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh wow these look brillant, thanks for joining us at CRAFTY RIBBONS, x carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous cards. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Ribbons and good luck. luv gina xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both cards are beautiful, Esther - you do vintage so well! Thanks for playing the Gingersnap Creations crimper challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow..both cards are stunning! I love your crimper card! AWESOME...

    Thanks for joining us at Gingersnap Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You don't need the expensive embellishments your creations are wonderful. A beautiful vintage card, thanks for sharing with us at Fashionable Stamping. So nice to see you join in. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Esther, These cards are beautiful, I love vintage and these are prime examples why, just simply wonderful:0)You certainly need expensive embellies when you have your talent and can make them your self:0) I hope you're having a great weekend, Gay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Two beautiful cards, both of them. Thanks for joining the Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Esther, your Seasons Greetings card is charming--congratulations on being chosen as a Ginger Gem in the Gingersnap Creations Spicy Supply Challenge!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful card! Love the strip of crimping behind the other layers... Congrats on being chosen GG!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts - they make me smile x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails