Saturday, 5 February 2011

Lovin Steampunk

I've never gone down the steampunk road with my crafting - I have to admit I didn't really 'get it' so when I saw it was the theme for Stamp Man's ATC swap this month I was a little dismayed and thought I'd give it a miss. BUT - never one to run from a challenge, after placing an order for some appropriately themed stamps off I went to google. For any of you who, like me (until today), don't really know what Steampunk is all about this is what WIKI says - 'Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s specifically, steampunk involves an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century and often Victorian era Britain—that incorporates prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy'.
So armed with this knowledge and following the arrival of my new stamps I set about creating my ATCs and thoroughly enjoyed myself - and to think I nearly didn't try!  All of the backgrounds are created using Distress Inks - Pumice Stone, Bundled Sage and Weathered Wood, and the edges embossed with copper kettle EP. The stamps are 'Artistic Stamper (steampunk themed, jar), Tim Holtz (Crown, LOVE), Stamp Addicts (wings, watch face) and Rubadubadoo (figures) 
1. My first ATC I've called 'Steampunk Queen' - I've incorporated the crown and made her royal as the current Gingersnaps Chestnut theme is kings and queens.  I also did some resist embossing using part of the 'jar' stamp to create the cogs pattern on her dress and add some more steampunk detail!
2. I went with a LOVE theme as so many of the current challenges are set around this theme for Valentines day. Being a steampunk newby I don't have any themed embellishments so used some plain copper brads to add detail. I loved making this heart - I stamped the large steampunk flower from The Artistic Stamper and embossed in Copper Kettle EP, I then cut round two petals to make the heart shape and coloured with Distress ink - Fired Brick. 
Next I added a thin later of glass bead gel (another new purchase and it's fab!) to a couple of areas and filled the remaining space with glossy accents (this looks cool if you click pic to enlarge!) I'm entering this ATC in the following challenges (and I did say there were a lot of them!)- Allsorts - 'Love, Love, Love', Secret Crafter - 'Valentine', Simon says Stamp - 'Love is in the air', Stampin for the weekend - 'Valentines day', Crafty Calender - 'Love', Simon says Stamp and Show - 'Love', Wild Orchid - 'Love', Artistic Stamper - 'Love' and Lets Ink it Up - 'Valentine'


3. Don't know where the idea came from to put this lady in the jar (although The Bangles song 'In a bell jar' did pop into my head!).. She looks a bit forlorn and it's hardly surprising ! Some simple masking and stamping on this one, finished off with a flower (which is stamped with cogs but you can't really tell that in the pic) some dark pearls and a little glossy accents on the edges of the jar.

Obviously all three ATC's are for The Stamp Man ATC swap.  Well I'm all out of steam now (sorry that is awful!) so I'm off to bed...Thanks for stopping by and happy crafting...Esther xx

21 comments:

  1. So glad you did try, fantastic ATCs. Thanks for sharing with us at LIIU, good luck, Suzanne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous ATC's!!!! Lovely work! Thanks for sharing at Let's Ink It Up this month and good luck!!

    Hugzzz
    Tammy xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh brilliant atcs,hun,they are so detailed just love what you have done,hugs cheryl xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous ATC's.
    love them all.
    thanks for joining LIIU this month
    hugs, Benedicte

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning ATC's bet your glad you tried now Esther. Thanks for the piece on Steampunk, have to say never heard of this before but certainly intrigued me to look more into it. Thanks for sharing with us at Let's Ink It Up.
    Hugs Shirley x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous steampunk ATCs Esther, they are all fab! Love that glass bead gel you've used too
    Thanks for joining us at Let's Ink It up this month and good luck
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Beautiful ATC's, and fabulous design and layout,

    thanks for sharing with us at Secret Crafter: 120 Valentines

    Good luck with the challenge,
    Hugs Bridget :) x.
    SCSC DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done! Thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp & Show challenge blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous ATCs hope you had fun with them. Steam punk is all around at the moment from the Barclays shoe makers ad to the Scifi show 'Alice' and loads inbetween XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous ATC's, some folk will be lucky to get one of these beauties in the swap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific ATCs Esther. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful work - such gorgeous detail!
    Thanks for sharing the love with us at Allsorts this week.
    Good luck.
    Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your ATCs are stunning. I love this form!!!
    Thanks for joining us at Let's Ink It Up this month and good luck!
    Hugs
    Agnieszka

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty!

    Thanks for joining our "Valentine" challenge on SECRET CRAFTER SATURDAY CHALLENGE :)

    Hugs Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab set of ATCs, love them all but the middle one is my favourite, the wings on the heart are a great touch. Thanks so much for joining in with the Crafty Calendar challenge this month.
    Jenni x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your Steampunk ATCs! I hope that I didn't give you a hard time, choosing a difficult theme like that! I'm really glad you gave it a try and with great success!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great selection but i do love the love one
    Thanks for playing along with the ASCT Challenge this month, Best of Luck x

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are all fabulous, and any excuse to buy new stamps. I love your bead gelm must give this a try x

    ReplyDelete
  19. these are amazing - I really like them - and for someone who says they didnt get steampunk I think you pretty much aced it! THANKS for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are great atcs, Esther!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. These truly are stunning, you did great with the theme, hope I get one of yours in the post xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts - they make me smile x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails